An Overview of Clomiphene for Infertility Treatment
- Posted on: Sep 22 2015
What is Clomiphene?
Clomiphene helps stimulate the release of hormones needed for ovulation. The clomiphene therapy is usually taken for five consecutive days during the early menstrual cycle. Only 80% of anovulatory women will ovulate on Clomiphene and sometimes finding the right dosage for ovulation stimulation may take a couple of cycles. The patient typically will take Clomiphene for at least three cycles.
Clomiphene may be used for the following:
- Stimulate ovulation in women with irregular ovulation
- Stimulate ovulation in women that do not ovulate at all
- To perform a Clomiphene challenge test that helps assess a woman’s ovarian reserve
- To stimulate multiple egg development to increase chances of pregnancy
- In fertility treatment cycles for those using artificial insemination or intrauterine insemination.
Clomiphene can also be used together with other treatments options or medication. Women suffering from polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) and are overweight are at risk of developing complications. Therefore, having a balanced diet and exercising regularly will help maintain a healthy body which translates to a healthier ovulation process.
Clomiphene can also be used in men to improve low sperm counts or low motility in men.
What Are The Success Rates Of Using Clomiphene?
Infrequent or no ovulation: Women who have infertility problems due to infrequent or absent ovulation, may find clomiphene useful since it triggers ovulation. In fact research show that, women who do not ovulate who use Clomiphene have between 70 and 75% chances of becoming pregnant.
Unexplained infertility: Clomiphene is more effective if used to generate multiple eggs before undergoing any insemination procedure. Pregnancy rates are approximately 10-15% per treatment cycle.
What Are The Side Effects Of Using Clomiphene?
Just like any other drug, some people may experience some side effects of Clomiphene while others may not. Before taking Clomiphene, ensure you consult your doctor or pharmacist about the possible side effects. Consider the following before clomiphene:
- The benefits of Clomiphene outweigh the side effects
- Side effects may disappear after using the drug a few times
- Consult your doctor if the side effects become persistent.
Seek medical advice if you have the following:
- Difficulty breathing
- Swelling of tongue, throat, lips and face
- Pelvic or stomach pain
- Visual changes
- Breast tenderness
What to expect from clomiphene?
About 70% of women who use clomiphene experience multiple pregnancies resulting in twins.
Posted in: Infertility Treatment