Tips For Improving Sperm Quality
- Posted on: May 15 2018
Infertility affects thousands of couples in the United States. Fortunately, you have numerous options available to improve your chances of getting pregnant. Low sperm count or unhealthy sperm are common problems for men who want to have children. Here are some tips for improving the quality of your sperm.
How Sperm Quality is Determined
The most recognized measurement of healthy sperm is the number of sperm found in a given sample. Sperm quality is determined based on three factors:
- Sperm Count: A healthy sperm count is defined as 15,000,000 sperm per milliliter of semen in a single ejaculation. If you have a low sperm count, pregnancy is possible, but it may be more difficult compared to a healthy sperm count.
- Structure (Morphology): No all sperm are created equal. A healthy sperm should have an oval head and long tail. This allows the sperm to swim to the eggs for fertilization. Having some abnormal sperm is not concerning, but if most of your sperm are not formed properly, they may not reach the point of insemination.
- Sperm Motility: Sperm move towards the eggs by wiggling from side-to-side. At least two of every five sperm should display a rapid and normal swimming movement. Sperm that are unable to swim straight or that move slowly are less likely to make the distance through the cervix and uterus to reach the fallopian tubes.
How to Improve Sperm Health
The shape of your sperm is not as important as the quantity and movement. If you have poor quality sperm, a physician may recommend lab tests to diagnose any conditions that affect your sperm. Lifestyle changes are another great way to improve sperm health.
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Reduce stress
- Exercise and stay active
- Eat foods that are high in antioxidants
- Relax more often
- Quit smoking, illicit drug use and drinking alcohol
- Check the side effects of your medications
- Do not use lubrication during intercourse
Learn More About Sperm Health. Contact Rocky Mountain Fertility Center.
We offer medical treatments and support services for poor sperm quality and other issues that may cause infertility. To learn more about assisted hatching, IVF and our other services, contact Rocky Mountain Fertility Center to schedule an appointment. You can contact our office in Parker and Castle Rock, Colorado, at (303) 999-3877 and our office in South Dakota at (605) 341-5547.
Posted in: Infertility Treatment